Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have many clinical advancements and new strategies emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the chance to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to remedy vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't understand can injure you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Discover another one if your medical professional will not tell you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible savings are not worth the danger of getting less than expert care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Get the facts Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of countless people around the world.